Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Zen Exercises for Both Psychiatric Hospital Staff and the Public

By Patricia Lefave, Labeled, D.D. (P)

Koan 1:

I’m sorry Pat if you think I am talking about you.”

This has been stated at, or near me, hundreds of times usually while the person speaking is directing it at someone he or she is with.

Those of you who would like to try these little Zen exercises should follow this instruction.


Say these Koans to yourself, over and over again, like a meditation mantra, while you listen intently to the true meaning of your own words. When you start to laugh at your own absurdity, like a ‘schizophrenic’ or a ‘delusional disorder’ (like me) you will finally have managed to connect to a universal level of reality and you will have become ‘one’ with the ‘other.’

At that point you will become aware of the true me, as well as the true you.

Keep practicing. You will get it eventually. Repeat until heard.

Koan 2:

When I try to tell those who are trying to control me that I am being harmed, I very often get a response like this:

"I don't like to judge."

Koan 3:

Two women sit directly across from me on a bus. Both stare at me for quite awhile without seeing me, pained expressions on their faces as they discuss the latest:

Health care agency worker: "They all ask me if I know anything about the people who are talking about her, but I just say, I haven't heard anything."

Psychiatrized person she is talking to: "It must be awful to think people are talking about you all the time. I 'm glad that's not the disease that I've got."

Koan 4:

"There's that woman! I heard she is very snotty, unfriendly, opinionated, and judgemental. Some people are just terrible aren't they? I guess that is what having a personality disorder does to them. But if you asked me, she could get herself under control if she really WANTED to."

Koan 5:

Woman to office co-worker: "I am talking to myself again. I'd better be careful or people will think I'm crazy."

No comments: